Sunday, January 10, 2010

God won't give you more than you can handle...right?!?

But I do believe that God has a way of telling you in not so many words...slow down, take care of yourself, learn to say no (ok, I'm struggling with this one!) & so ironically, following the lead of the fabulous Ali Edwards, my ONE LITTLE WORD for 2010 is PRAY....

So here's how my week unfolded....

Monday: Everything is great. Back to work. Yippee!

Tuesday: Work is busy, busy, busy this time of the year. I wear contacts and my left eye just started driving me crazy today. It felt dry, scratchy, itchy...not good. Then I noticed that my good 'ol 32 oz. Diet Pepsi just wasn't tasting quite right...seriously, it felt like I had burnt my tongue with hot chocolate and my taste buds were not functioning....weird, huh??? My boys played basketball tonight & I just couldn't wait to get home to get my contacts out.

Wednesday: Woke up with the left side of my face feeling numb. Yes, numb. I was a little bit freaked out. Eye still messed up. I couldn't close my left eye. I couldn't feel the left side of my nose. I couldn't spit after brushing my teeth. I couldn't smile. First phone call went to my eye doctor. Told him about my symptoms; he said he thought it sounded like Bell's Palsy & I better get into my doctor. Ever heard of Bell's Palsy? I hadn't. Luckily, I got into my regular doctor today by 11AM and she confirmed the diagnosis of Bell's Palsy. Causes aren't easy to determine, but generally a virus infects (inflames) your facial nerve which causes things to quit operating as they should. Most people fully recover within 2 months. Let's hope in the "most people" category! Prescription for steriods, an anti-viral & eye drops. Have you ever tried to sleep with one eye open? My DH gave me all kinds of grief...LOL!

Thursday: Not much change, though my sense of taste may be a bit improved. My mouth function is a whole different story....you know what it feels like after you have been to the dentist & your mouth is numb for a couple of hours??? Yeah, that's what it is like. I called my kinesiologist and he scheduled an appointment for Friday....

Friday: My kinesiologist worked me over for about an hour. Acupuncture included. He feels that since we got on top of this right away, I should recover fairly quickly. Of course, he asked me about 3 different times, 3 different ways "Are you worried about something?" "Are you stressed?" My answer? No, nothing out of the ordinary....but ordinarily I live a pretty crazy, rat race of a life...like most everone else on the planet. He gave me the "you need to take care of yourself talk...you are a busy mom of 2 teenage boys, a wife, working full-time....you need to slow down & take time for you...." WAKE UP CALL.

Saturday: Feeling fine, the left side of my face is still just frozen, or droopy or puffy...whatever you want to call it! My eye really started driving me crazy tonight...grrr....

Sunday: TODAY. Eye is messed up & bothers me the most. Of course, when I try to talk or smile, my problem is pretty obvious. Just praying (I am putting my ONE LITTLE WORD to good use already in 2010!) that I recover quickly...but knowing I will just have to be patient :o) If you are the praying type I'd really appreciate it.

I'll be back later with a card I created for the Second Chance Challenge @ Sketchy Thursdays!

Thanks for stopping by. Take care!

Stacy

4 comments:

Diana Fisher said...

Oh my, I hope you feel better soon! My DH had that in 2005, right at about the time I was 4 or 5 months pregnant with Nate. It scared the living day lights out of us! But, it did go away within a week or so. Sending you best wishes, prayers and good thoughts for a speedy recovery!

Diana Waite said...

my goodness Stacy! I AM praying for a quick recovery! Take care...and TAKE IT EASY! :)

Anonymous said...

Stacy, it sounds like you have made some pretty smart first steps in the steps towards healing.

So sorry to hear this is happening, and wishing you a speedy recovery from it!

Unknown said...

Stacy, I hope you are starting to feel better.